The Befriending Complexity course provides a practical and theoretical basis for working with organizatons as complex social systems. Here you will meet the perspectives, ideas and tools that can change how you identify and relate to complex contexts.
You will learn about intervention design, emergence as a function of the sum of relationships, chaos theory, surfing complex waves, necessary conditions for emergence, palliative care for dying systems, and much more.
You will also learn working with uncertainty, collective intelligence the relationships between subsystems, multiple perspectives, resonance & felt sense, storytelling, and last, but not least, yourself as complex system.
The journey involves:
8 video ‘seminar’ contributions and 8 reverse classroom events. (Based on moments of reflection and group work)
The video seminars are clustered as follows. The order and content of the videos is not yet fixed.
- Boundaries, 4-dimensional mapping, Felt sense, Navigation, Complexity in context, Weak signals.
- Vectors, Resonance, Cyclical energy, Possible futures, Intention, Paradox of systemic maturity.
- Intervention design, Cynefin, Control systems for complex systems, Feedback, Life forms,
- Relationships – with Self, Single, Multiple, Identity, Purpose and Between Subsystems. The Importance of Trust. Emergence as a function of the sum of relationships. Collective Intelligence.
- Positive energy, Complexity’s enrichment Rule, Multiple perspectives, Cognitive dissonance, Danger signs, Losing control, Letting go, Chaos theory, Self organisation, Agent based programming.
- Resonance & Felt sense II, Resonant pathways, Inertia, Attractors – single – multiple and strange, Surfing complex waves, Learning.
- Story as intervention, Stories of massive interventions, Holding space, Quality of space, Boundary conditions, Starting conditions. Necessary conditions for emergence, Story telling.
- How complex systems die, palliative care for dying systems, life after death and the creation of humus/compost for new seeds, Team spirit, Harvesting, Catastrophic events, Uncertainty and me.
We live in, lead and organise in an increasingly complex world.
Most of us haven’t learned at school what to do when our surroundings have gone into a complex phase.
This course is here to help you get fresh takes on old issues, open new toolboxes and share experiences with fellow practitioners.
We will play with mapping, navigating and intervention designs, hopefully limiting the damage of unintended consequences.
By the end of this course the participants will be buzzing )
- equip your team, group or organisation to be resilient, flexible and sustainable under difficult conditions?
- Grow strong relationships and create the conditions for emergence.
- Find fresh takes on old issues.
- Encourage self organisation.
- Meet fellow practitioners in complex worlds.
Our aim is to create a safe, trustful environment where the necessary peace of mind can develop to enable a meaningful level of emergent experience in difficult space.
Why are there four of us? Because complex systems often don’t fit inside one head, and alone you have little real feedback and only weak other perspectives. We have known each other and worked together in complex contexts, using these tools and thinking, for many years and it would now be unthinkable to approach this Complex foundations course alone.
We only get paid as one person so no extra costs! Four for the price of one….
Welcome to the Complex Foundations cohort of 2019.
The Campus operates in the gift economy, with donations instead of set tuition fees. The recommended level of donation for this course is £950.